Trump: Starmer must not give away Chagos Islands

US president warns Prime Minister he is making a ‘big mistake’ in fresh attack over archipelago deal

Feb 19, 2026 - 04:45
Trump: Starmer must not give away Chagos Islands
Donald Trump said Sir Keir Starmer was endangering Britain by handing over Diego Garcia Credit: AP Photo/Nathan Howard

Donald Trump has demanded Sir Keir Starmer “not give away” Diego Garcia in a fresh attack on his Chagos Islands deal.

The US president warned the Prime Minister that he was making a “big mistake” by entering into a 100-year lease with Mauritius.

It is the latest in a series of about-turns from the president on the deal, which he previously called an act of “great stupidity” before giving it approval earlier this month.

Mr Trump said Diego Garcia, the shared US base, was crucial for possible air strikes on Iran, which experts predict could take place within days, despite peace talks.

The president said: “Should Iran decide not to make a deal, it may be necessary for the United States to use Diego Garcia, and the airfield located in Fairford, in order to eradicate a potential attack by a highly unstable and dangerous regime – an attack that would potentially be made on the United Kingdom, as well as other friendly countries.”

He added that Sir Keir was endangering Britain by handing over Diego Garcia for “fictitious” reasons, urging the Prime Minister to “remain strong in the face of wokeism”.

He said: “Prime Minister Starmer should not lose control, for any reason, of Diego Garcia, by entering a tenuous, at best, 100-year lease.”

Asked during a press briefing whether Mr Trump’s Truth Social message was the administration’s position, Karoline Leavitt, the White House press secretary, said: “The post should be taken as the policy of the Trump administration. It’s coming straight from the horse’s mouth.”

Michael Rubin, a former Pentagon official, told The Telegraph the president’s about-turn on the Chagos deal raised the prospect of an imminent strike on Iran.

“Trump isn’t a master of details, but Starmer’s deal probably came up in conversation and the question is, why now?” he said.

“There aren’t many answers to that unless Trump was engaged in a conversation about military assets needed for an attack on Iran.”

It is understood that Mr Trump’s latest stance took senior foreign policy officials in Britain by surprise.

Mr Trump and Sir Keir last spoke on Tuesday, but it is understood the Chagos deal was not raised on the call by either side.

Foreign Office and Downing Street officials have been battling to keep the deal on track.

After Mr Trump’s outburst on the topic last month, he reversed his position, arguing that the deal was the best arrangement Sir Keir could have struck with Mauritius.

It remains unclear whether his latest stance will lead to the cancellation of the deal, which ministers have previously admitted cannot go ahead without the support of the US.

Sir Keir’s agreement to hand over the islands involves Britain paying Mauritius £35bn across a 99-year period to lease back Diego Garcia.

Diego Garcia’s strategic position puts Iran within striking distance and allows for round-the-clock, long-range bomber missions, such as the strike on Tehran last year using B-2 Spirits.

Under the terms of the new agreement, critics argue that Britain would have to notify Mauritius, an ally of China and Tehran, that the base would be used for a military operation.

It comes after a group of Chagossians returned to the territory earlier this week in protest against the deal.

Misley Mandarin, the islands’ elected first minister, arrived on the archipelago with his father and other islanders on Tuesday.

On Wednesday, the group was served with an eviction notice by the British Indian Ocean Territory police.

He told The Telegraph: “I will give my life for my country,” adding, “if they decide by force to exile me again, they will have to kill me”.

Mr Trump ordered a surge of military aircraft to the Middle East this week, suggesting a major attack on Iran may be imminent.

Experts told The Telegraph the increase in warplanes travelling to the Gulf would probably be used to clear the way for heavy bombers to strike at the heart of Iran’s regime.

Bombers would probably take off from bases such as Diego Garcia. Military briefings would probably have made it clear to Mr Trump the significance of the Chagos base.

Just hours before Mr Trump’s announcement, the US state department put out a press release saying it supported Britain’s decision to “proceed with its agreement with Mauritius concerning the Chagos Archipelago”.

The US and Mauritius were expected to hold discussions in Port Louis, the capital of Mauritius, from Monday to ensure the “long-term, secure operation” of the military base.

A security pact between Mauritius and the US could help block growing Chinese influence on the islands.

‘Irresponsible and reckless’ deal

Dame Priti Patel, the shadow foreign secretary, said: “Giving up British sovereign territory to an ally of China and paying for the privilege is irresponsible and reckless and is clearly undermining our relationship with our most important ally.”

Since giving his approval to the deal, Mr Trump has been relentlessly lobbied by prominent Republicans against it.

John Kennedy, a Republican senator for Louisiana, is understood to have been among those to have raised the issue with senior members of the administration.

Writing for The Telegraph in January, he raised the alarm over national society concerns with giving away the base.

He said: “Prime Minister Starmer can remind the American people why they have so much faith in our British allies by standing strong against the United Nations and protecting our shared national security interests on Diego Garcia.”

Mr Kennedy, a close ally of the president, is understood to have made the case for blocking the deal with senior cabinet members, including Marco Rubio, the secretary of state, and the White House.

[Source: Daily Telegraph]