Ross County closing in on first summer signing
Stuart Kettlewell is set to secure experience for his Ross County back-line, while an offer for an experienced Staggies centre-half has been rejected by the Dingwall club.
Ross County are closing in on their first signing since being relegated to League One – and it’s a player with Championship know-how.
The Press and Journal understands left-back Lewis Strapp, who has just been released by Airdrieonians, is close to agreeing a deal with the Dingwall club, who dropped down to League One on May 1 after their 3-2 loss at Raith Rovers.
Airdrie joined County in being relegated to League One last week after losing their play-off against Alloa Athletic.
Strapp, a long-throw specialist, 26, joined the Diamonds in January 2025 and he played 54 times, scoring three goals – including in Airdrie’s 4-0 rout of County last month, which pushed Stuart Kettlewell’s team closer to the trap door.
Strapp previously spent eight years at Championship side Morton, and had a loan stint at League Two Elgin City in 2017-2018.
He played 163 games for the Ton, the club where he came through as a youth.
As part of County’s summer overhaul, goalkeeper Ross Laidlaw, defenders Declan Gallagher and Alex Iacovitti, winger Jay Henderson and strikers Jordan White and Uche Ikpeazu were not offered new deals.
However, goalkeeper Jayden Reid, 18, midfielders Jamie Williamson, 19, and Andrew Macleod, 21, striker Calum Brown, 19, and defender Josh Reid, 24, all signed new one-year contracts this month.
Should Strapp’s signing go through, he will add experience to the ranks and will compete with Len O’Sullivan and Reid for the left-back berth.
Wright bid from Oldham rejected
Meanwhile, the P&J can reveal County have rejected a bid from English League Two side Oldham Athletic for defender Akil Wright.
The 30-year-old, who joined the Highlanders from Stockport County in July 2024, has racked up 74 appearances for the club, including playing every minute of every Premiership game in 2024-25.
County dropped down via the relegation play-off final defeat against Livingston last May.
Their second successive demotion returns them to the third-tier for the first time in 19 years when they won the title under Derek Adams.
Wright has one year remaining on his contract and chairman Roy MacGregor and Steven Ferguson have told Wright they want him to see that out by helping the team try to get back to the Championship next term.
However, with several sides south of the border keen to land his signature, County’s resolve will be tested.
Oldham’s bid was knocked back and County will expect more offers to come in for the Englishman, who has also played for Wrexham, Barrow and York.
Recent reports said Wright was “already attracting strong interest from the EFL with several clubs already making contact with the player’s representatives”.
[Source: Press and Journal]

