Controversial Orkney monks ‘could be excommunicated’ from Aberdeen Diocese as leader investigated for ‘heresy’
Three members have now quit Papa Stronsay in a tumultuous period which saw monk Justin Evans die at sea, and a manifesto released calling for the Pope to be replaced.
Controversial Orkney Catholic group The Sons “could be excommunicated” from the Diocese of Aberdeen as their leader is investigated for “heresy”.
The Press and Journal can also reveal that three members of The Sons, based in Orkney, have now left following a tumultuous period for the group.
The monastery was in mourning this month after the body of former monk Justin Evans was discovered in the water off Papa Stronsay.
As The Sons dealt with their grief, Father Michael Mary, who heads up their Golgotha Monastery in Orkney, has revealed he is subject to a “penal process” conducted by the Diocese of Aberdeen.
It comes after his group published a letter which calls for Pope Leo XIV to be replaced – and labelling him a “pretender.”
They also published a similar letter in October 2025 on the same topic.
The Sons have now signalled their intent to withdraw their cooperation with the Vatican, claiming it has been invaded by “modernist enemies”.
That has prompted a disciplinary process, which the group admits could see the group “excommunicated” from the Diocese of Aberdeen.
Despite this, Father Michael Mary has suggested he does not recognise the authority of the investigation.
Bishop says The Sons’ position is ‘misguided’
He went on to describe The Vatican as being like a “country invaded by a foreign army”.
Bishop Hugh Gilbert, of the Diocese of Aberdeen, has described The Sons’ position as “misguided” and expressed regret over the publication of the statement.
The claims came after an interview with Catholic journalist Stephen Kokx last week.
In the interview, Father Michael Mary said he believed his group were being persecuted for their beliefs.
Other members of The Sons interviewed also confirmed they lost “two priests and a subdeacon” after they were unable to support the group’s direction.
The trio were said to be concerned about the group’s stance on the Pope, calling the last few weeks “the last straw”.
They disagree with a call to Imperfect General Council – a proposed gathering of Catholic bishops that takes place without the authority or approval of a recognised pope.
It is usually called in times of crisis, when Bishops across the world come together to discuss the legitimacy of Vatican leadership – almost like a vote of no confidence in parliament.
Body found in search for missing monk
It comes after 25-year-old monk Justin Evans died at sea after reportedly suffering from hypothermia while living at Golgotha Monastery on April 11.
His body was discovered on Wednesday May 6, and has since been identified.
The Sons held a funeral mass for Mr Evans in the days before his body was found.
Justin’s family travelled from New Zealand to Orkney for his requiem.
They also attended a ceremony to erect a memorial cross on the island.
The Press and Journal revealed last month that the group had been removed from the Christchurch diocese in New Zealand following an investigation into their conduct.
They were at the centre of serious allegations including torture, abuse and bullying.
[Source: Press and Journal]


